I’m starting a new little series on the blog called “Dorm Dining.” A rather fancy name for some not-so-fancy BUT healthy and cheap college meals. I have a small kitchen this year in my apartment dorm and am hoping to experiment making little meals on a little budget. Not to mention that I feel 10 million times better when I eat in my dorm as opposed to the nasty cafeteria food.
The first recipe is a nice vegetarian option that gives you protein, healthy fats, and a creamy flavor.
Veggie Quinoa Bowl
(makes about 4 servings)
2 cups chopped cauliflower and broccoli
1 1/2 cups quinoa
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Cook the 1 1/2 cups quinoa according to directions on the back of the box (approximately 15 minutes until the water is absorbed)
2. While the quinoa is cooking, place the cauliflower and broccoli on a greased cooking pan and sprinkle with pepper and garlic (as much as desired) *
3. Cook the vegetables in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until edges start to brown
4. Once the vegetables and quinoa are cooked, combined them in a large mixing bowl and add the cup of shredded cheese
5. Once the mixture is combined, dice the avocado and add it to the mix for added flavor and a creamy texture
*I would also suggest sprinkling the veggies with olive oil, however I did not have any cause it’s expensive.
Hope you enjoy this super easy recipe (if you even call it that)!